Monday, September 3, 2012

The Almost Alarm That Never Was

3-2-1.... It's here!

T'was the before school, and where did summer go?!? Our first day of school is tomorrow and I have butterflies like a little kindergartener! As long as I teach, I don't think that will change. I'm always nervous for that first moment that I'm in my classroom with all my new students and I have to start everything from scratch. All the procedures, the rules, the routines... I long for that day about a month or so down the road... You know! That day when I will look around the room and realize with a smile that my classroom has gotten to the point that it can mostly run without me (besides that tiny little part called the teaching, of course, haha!). I'm sure you all know that moment :).

So today I ALMOST did something that would have been oh so terrible! I was working in my classroom like a good little teacher (I know, it's a holiday, shame shame....but I'm sure I'm not the only one!) My school building is still on summer hours until tomorrow when the school year janitor comes back to work. When he's back the building will be  open until 10:00 P.M. But since it's still summer hours, it's open until 5:00 P.M. every day. Usually. So it's about 4:15 and I'm just bopping along to my radio finishing the set up of my classroom economy materials when all of the sudden I had a minor (ok, major) freak out. Wait a second. It's a holiday. That means that church employees aren't here today. That means the building might already be empty and the security system armed for the night! OhMyGoodnessGracious. So I frantically grabbed my purse and my computer, slammed the door to my classroom shut, ran down the hall and two flights of stairs and came to a screeching halt in front of the security system box. OH NO. It was already armed and I was trapped inside. Well, kind of. I was already playing out two different scenarios in my head: one where I played dumb and just walked out anyway as the building is surrounded with police, and another where I had to sheepishly call my principal and tell her I was still in the school building with the alarm armed and could she please give me the code so she didn't have to drive all the way to the school just to get me out.... Ugh. I quickly shot down my first idea and was about to execute the second when I had an aha! moment, or memory as it was, of one of the teachers a year ago telling me she had a code for the security system. So I quickly dialed her praying she would answer..............

Are you all on the edges of your seats now? I'm sure you are, hahahaha.... In any case, thankfully she DID answer and DID remember the code and because the security system happens to be the same as the one we have in our house, I knew how to use it, too. Crisis averted. So much excitement on my supposed day off! :)

And as the school year gets off and running, September Currently with Farley's Oh Boy 4th Grade:


2 comments:

  1. I was on the edge of my seat during your story wondering what is she going to do! I also would like some 48 hour days. Not many...just a few to get me caught up. WGrimm makes my top three shows. I am behind though because I haven't been able to watch the new season yet. They are saved and ready to be watched. Hopefully next weekend will be a Grimm weekend.

    Have a fantastic first day of school!

    Jana
    Thinking Out Loud

    ReplyDelete
  2. I taught 7-12 grade English at a small Christian school for two years! I left this past May to go back to school full-time so I can get my Master's and be a certified teacher. I am your newest follower and have enjoyed your blog thus far! I can't wait to see the pictures of your classroom :) I would love for you to check out my blog (I'm new to the blog-osphere)

    Kandi M.
    readinginthemiddl3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete